Saturday, May 5, 2012

Providence or Coincidence?


Providence is defined as a manifestation of divine care or direction.  Coincidence is defined as a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by by mere chance.  There have been so many times while here that we have felt the Lord's protection and leading.  I like to think that everything happens for a reason.  Yes, there are some things that just happen, but you know the kind of things that line up perfectly, almost like it was set up for you.  Sometimes it's after the fact that you realize it, and sometimes it's in the moment.  Today was one of those "in the moment"  for Matt and I.

Saturdays have become more of a catch up day for us as a family.  This morning Matt ran loads of wood back and forth to Casa Hogar, while the kids and I chilled at home.  Besides all the laundry and cleaning, we made time for some fun. Gabe loves to draw and I love seeing his creativity come out in his artwork.  Mercedes  had a chance to skype with her best friend Emma and "played school" on the white board.  Max busied himself taking care of the chickens and playing on the computer.   Our guest room became vacant this past week, and so after promising Max, we moved his room over.  This was a big deal for him as he has never had his own room.  He spent a good part of the day setting things up just the way he wanted. I remember when I first got my own room.  I was 16 years old.  As much as it was exciting to have my own space, I missed looking over at my sweet little sister sound asleep as I drifted off to sleep.

As we were getting ready to do our routine Saturday market run, we had company at our gate.  I just love drop in visitors.  We welcomed Mother Claudia and one of the assisting nuns from Casa Hogar in for a refreshing drink on this blistering hot day.  I haven't had much one on one time with Mother Claudia and it was great to connect without constant interruptions.  Matt and I both feel that it takes a lot of time and patience to build and encourage these relationships. We are struggling through speaking a foreign language, that often results in "sign language."   And yet we share the same heart for the girls.  We spent a couple of hours dreaming of what could be, may be for Casa Hogar.  Early on, Matt shared a vision with me for Los Pinos.  I half heartedly listened.  It wasn't until Easter weekend when we did our banana drop in Los Pinos that God stirred something in my heart for this underdeveloped community.  Today, out of the blue, Mother Claudia suggested something that we have been processing. It was directed right at us.  In fact, there was a pause and Matt and I just looked at each other in amazement......providence!


1 comment:

  1. What's the vision/suggestion, Mandy? ....feels like a cliffhanger. I find it exciting and humbling when God chooses to use us in His bigger plans!

    ReplyDelete