Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Feliz Dia del Madre



the moms of Casa Hogar



Even "Gordito" got in on the action

love it when the nuns sing
 For many people, Mother's Day is a special day but in Guatemala it's a big deal.  It all started this morning  when I woke Gabe up for school. Unlike any other morning when I have to peel him out of bed, he jumped up and asked if he could walk to the corner store.  I suggested Matt go with him as I didn't think it was good idea he walk by himself at 6:30am.  I watched as he secretly gathered materials for making me a card at school.  What Gabe didn't know is that Mother's Day actually falls on Thursday of this week. I didn't want to burst his bubble.   Casa Hogar handed out personal invites yesterday to all the moms to meet in the courtyard of the orphanage for 10:30 am this morning.  Maybe this is where he got the idea that today was the big day.  I showed up and was ushered in through a lineup of hugs, warm wishes and of course firecrackers.  For those of you who have been to Guatemala, you know exactly what I am talking about.  It was so special to see all the young mothers of the house being honoured at the front.  I watch these young moms some at the age of 13 caring for their babies, and can't imagine the weight they carry.  Even though it's kids raising kids,  there is no one like mommy.  The girls wear the exact same uniform and  yet their little ones can pick them out of a crowd of girls.  So sweet!  We were entertained with songs, dancing, skits and speeches while we enjoyed a new cookie recipe I taught the nuns the day before.  My heart melted!  To top it off, when I got home  I was greeted at our front gate by Gabe, who proudly handed over a pink envelope that he fashioned.  I sat and opened it and out fell a half eaten chocolate bar and card.  Apparently the chocolate bar broke in half and someone got hungry while making the card.  I laughed and cried ...yes I did the laugh/cry.  

1 comment:

  1. Haha this is my favourite post by far! So awesome on SO many levels!

    ReplyDelete