Wednesday, May 16, 2012

critters

I love the outdoors.  Every chance I get, I am out enjoying creation, however I am not a fan of critters.  As my definition goes, a critter is any insect, snake, lizard, frog and the list goes on and on .... I think you get the point.  Tonight I did the routinely drive,  picking up a group of girls from school in Jalalpa and driving them back to the orphanage.  Matt usually makes this trek in the dark but is fighting a flu.  The roads were swampy to say the least.  Rainy season has hit and the roads prove it.  I feared stepping out of the truck to close the gate behind me as I left the orphanage.  Not knowing where I was stepping on this pitch black, rainy night in my flip flops kind of freaked me out.  I must admit, I feel like a bit of a failure in my boys' eyes.  In the past I have said no to snakes, frogs, geckos and other critters for pets.  I must clarify, the snake was a find in the neighbours backyard in Canada.  However, today I feel like a hero.  I came home with a surprise that won Gabe's heart and mine with his response.  Apparently I am "the best mom in the whole world".  Just sayin:)  I almost squealed as it's head poked out while trying to pick it up.  Our new backyard guest.....a tortuga (turtle)!

1 comment: