Tuesday, March 6, 2012

better late than never....

I really should be going to bed.  It has been a crazy last 24 hrs of travel.  We had a safe landing back here in Guatemala this morning, and as the early morning sun hit the tips of the mountains casting shadows across the landscape, I knew we were once again back home in Guatemala.

For starters, we had to say goodbye to Matt's dad during our visit to Mexico.  He came down with an infection and didn't want to risk further illness.  We were sad to see him leave but glad mom decided to stay on with us for the remainder of the month.

I had been meaning to fill all of you in for awhile.  The hours seem to slip away and before I know it another week has come and gone.  I guess better late than never.  I have a million things go through my mind and I often think of blog topics or even have it written in my mind before crawling into bed at the end of an exhausting day.  Some days it's just hard to keep up.

Okay so a lot to catch up on.  I want to re-introduce you to our pastoral couple Steve and Tammy from CTEN.  A couple weeks ago we  had the privilege of spending five days with them here in Jalapa.  Tammy, Julie, Rachel, Kait, Diane and myself visited the prison where Julie was able to run her med clinic and I cut hair for some of the inmates.  A wonderful surprise and treat for the ladies was a craft facilitated by Diane.  Thanks to a generous friend of Diane's back home, she was able to run a beading class with the ladies of the prison.  This was definitely a hi-lite and the ladies swarmed Diane for attention.  Julie, a very dear friend and missionary (a part of CTEN as well), and I were able to introduce Tammy to a morning of prison ministry.

Later in the week, we were able to show Tammy and Steve around Casa Hogar and the involement we have there.  Tammy was able to join us for one of our knitting classes with the nuns.  I surprised her and pulled out a piano and she played while softly singing worship songs as the nuns knitted away.  It was a very special moment for me as I reflected on the journey Tammy has been on.  She is an amazing....well that is even an understatement..... musician and has given up a lot to answer the call God has placed on her and Steve's lives.  I thought about how God gives us all different, unique gifts and how she blessed us that afternoon.


feet soaking, drinking coffee and eating homemade brownies




I have been running various classes, while project managing the renovation of the kitchen.  Kait and I are working with the nuns on a three week rotation of varying classes as well. We try to throw in a fun activity in the schedule.  Some of which have been pedicures given by Kait and myself, an afternoon of playing basketball, and watching the sound of music en espanol.  I've never seen anything quite like a bunch of nuns running around a basketball court chasing the ball and enjoying every minute of it.

Matt and I were asked by the kids' school to help teach english classes.  One  morning a week,  we accompany the kids to their school just outside of Jalapa and are helping develop a program that will be sustainable and effective.  I am amazed at how different the education system is here in Guatemala, and it is a good reminder of the need for aid in this very important area.  I am so proud of our three kids and the efforts made in adjusting to a new culture and language.  It hasn't always been easy but they have a good attitude and being positive is important.  Thank you for your continued prayer and encouragement!


Showing a young mom how to use a breast pump
donated by a friend back in Canada


Kait and Mandy giving out pedicures
Tammy having fun with Mercedes on the piano



basketball with the nuns

can't have a birthday without a pinata!






No comments:

Post a Comment