Tuesday, March 13, 2012

high/low

Something we used to do around the dinner table back home in Canada, was go around the table and express our high/lows of the day. I've forgotten this simple method of expressing what each of us got out of the day.  It wasn't until last week when we joined a team of high school students from Toronto, that I was reminded of this frequent family ritual.  Its a pretty loaded question around our dinner table these days.  The range in emotions vary from one difficult moment or situation to the next.  But one day that really was set apart from many others for me,  was a week ago today.
this photo is from last summer...we need an update
As usual, we pick up "our four girls" to come and spend the day and be part of our family.  On this particular Sunday, many parents are scheduled to come and see their girls art Casa Hogar.  This is a big deal as it only happens about four times a year.  For our girls, it was a matter of them making the effort to see their mom.  They insisted that Matt and I tag along and have the opportunity to meet her in her home.  We felt honoured that they wanted to share their precious time with their mom, so we graciously accepted their invitation.  We drove up to where they thought their mom was living, only to find a strange man working on the house and not having a clue who we were talking about.  Immediately, I sensed fear and upset in Fransesca.  From there, we went to a distant uncle's house to try and track down their mom.  Matt and I pulled up to a series of shacks only blocks from our house.  It was devastating to see such horrendous conditions.  The houses were made of scrap metal and garbage bags, kids running around half naked and most of the family weren't wearing any shoes.  I watched as the girls climbed out of the truck to seek out their great uncle for help.  I felt so proud of Fransesca for taking on the responsibility she does. I can't imagine all the thoughts that  flooded her mind as she tracked down her mom.  Fears of abandonment ..again, and her moms' health are just a few.  Matt and I respected their space and sat patiently and prayfully in the truck.  I glanced down through the chicken wire and noticed a hen with her chicks.  The hen moved from place to place among the dirt and scratched up whatever food it could find as its chicks followed under the protection of her wing.  I felt angry thinking about Fransesca and her sister's situation.  Angry at the thought that a hen was looking after her young better than a mom after her girls.

We drove out to the house where their mom was living and again were reminded of what life these girls left.  It was a realization of the impoverished conditions they came from.  Matt and I were welcomed in and sat in the doorway on plastics stools.  Fransesca politely made conversation and the other girls literally hung on us.  Words cannot express the feelings I was having sitting there that afternoon.  I felt overwhelmed by the love these girls showed us.  And all they wanted back is love. It was in that moment that all the questions I've wrestled with (of purpose and trying to figure out missions and helping), escaped my mind.  All I could think of was that these girls are craving relationship, to be part of a family and want to be loved.   High-low....what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment