Saturday, January 14, 2012

Faithfulness

This past month has been a roller coaster of emotion, and I feel exhausted.  We had a busy holiday, visiting local friends, hanging out at the orphanage and having meetings on end to plan out this next school year.   Matt has been busy meeting with other organizations co-ordinating a plan for the facility.  After visiting three local schools, we narrowed it down to a private spanish school located about 4km outside Jalapa.  The kids will be bussed in at 7am and will be dropped off in front of our house at 1pm.  The only downfall of this school is that it is JK-GR 4.  We talked with Max about this and he struggled with the idea of going into grade 4 again.  We felt that this school had the best education and programming, and we explained to Max that it was really important for him to learn the language and we would focus on grade 5 math and english at home.  After taking a trip to all the schools with the kids, he agreed with our decision. The kids are starting school on Monday and are a little nervous. If you think of them please pray for this difficult transition.



getting a little silly at "House and Green"
As the kids are transitioning into a new schedule, so are Matt and I.  We will be spending more time working at Casa Hogar.  I am running three afternoon programs with the nuns, and three morning classes teaching hairstyling to the girls.  Aside from working at Casa Hogar, I am currently working on translating some curriculum for running a weekly bible study at the women's prison.  Matt will be running a tutoring program as well as meeting with the head nun regarding budgeting and planning.

We have been in touch with a group from Guatemala city, who have been bringing aid to Casa Hogar by means of food and other consumables.  With their expertise and knowledge, they are helping us research the best quality paint for the renovations we will be making on the kitchen.  Mother Claudia created a wish list for items so Matt and I spent some time researching good quality, industrial kitchen ware, in Guatemala city.



A few short weeks ago we said goodbye to our dear friend Kait.  Little did we know the adventure she would be on, upon arriving home.  God was up to something....big!  Sitting on the rooftop, sipping coffee, allowed  time for Kait and I to share about what God has been up to in our lives. We spent a lot of time talking and following a daily devotional.  It was a time when I really needed a friend to share my thoughts, frustrations and fears. It was a time of reflection on what amazing things God has done.  Just a few days before Kait left, she approached me with some more of her thoughts.  She was processing a lot and was thinking of coming back.  And after a lot of prayer and patience, God opened doors for Kait to join the ministry here in Guatemala for the next three months.  I think at one point Kait skyped with us and told  us it would really take a miracle for this to happen.  Once the decision was made, God opened door after door  just like He did for us not too long ago.  I really encourage you to check out her story at  Should I Stay, Or Should I Go?  Needless to say, we were thrilled!  We welcomed Kait back this past week and love having the extra company!  It will be a full house for the next little while as Matt's parents arrive in a week.  There is a lighter mood in the kids and I know that they welcome friends and family from back home.  It is an amazing feeling being able to share what we are so passionate about and for people to come and see for themselves.

Making 250 oliebollen

There are times I look around and question so much and wonder why.....and there are many days I feel like I am spinning my wheels.  There are so many more times of feeling frustrated  but all it takes is one good moment.... a hug from one of the girls, a conversation, helping someone, and it goes away just like that.  One of those moments happened just yesterday.  It is not uncommon for people to come to our door and ask for money.  We have been very careful not to just hand out money to anyone, for many reasons.  This past week, as I was doing my devotions, I felt the Lord speak to my spirit.  He asked me that when the next person came needing money that I was suppose to give.  That was it...just give.  So sure enough, a man came knocking and was looking for money. Matt went out to talk to him. His baby boy needed a shunt in his head and he had documentation from a doctor as evidence.  Without my knowing, Matt gave what he felt he should.  I later shared what I felt God was impressing on my heart.  Sometimes walking in obedience doesn't make sense to us.  Sometimes we don't always understand or agree on the things that are needed.  I knew what God had asked me and without knowing, Matt gave.  Praise God!

Oliebollen

Girls helping make the New Year Eve treats!







No comments:

Post a Comment