Monday, May 18, 2015

One Love

I could hear Bob Marley's voice coming from my bedroom.  The sound of "One Love" belted out throughout the house and as I entered my room, my husband swept me into his arms just to dance.  I shot him a look of confusion... like was this some special occasion.  It was just us.  And that was special enough.  I love the way he loves me, no matter what.  I told him I felt like I should have been wearing a cute little sundress and not my daily grubby shorts and tank top I feel like I haven't changed in who knows how many days. I told him I wished there was sand between my toes instead of the constant dirt and dust on the floor.  We laughed and spun around in circles for what felt like an eternity.  I didn't want the song to ever end.
Boxes once again are filling every room and there is a constant disorganized mess as we prepare to move next week.  This move has been planned for some time now but not as soon as we thought.  My mind feels as cluttered as my surroundings and it's hard not to get stuck in that feeling.  We are heading to a neighbouring town, where we will be working as team leaders, helping the continual development of the transition program and working on other projects. (http://www.shadowofhiswingsorphanage.org)  The more I move, the more I realize how much stuff can occupy our time.  Moving things from one location to another and then back again.  What if we payed equal attention to God as we do to our things.  What if we were consumed with His word and our relationship with Him rather the things the world constantly throws our way.  I live in Guatemala and still struggle with the comforts and luxuries of home.  I don't have to even look far.   Extreme poverty sits on my doorstep.  And it just becomes familiar.  I constantly wonder why on earth I would have so much more, so many opportunities that the majority of this country simply doesn't have.  I helped with a medical team two weeks ago, and I quickly learned of the many women that walked miles, some not even having a pair of shoes, facing extreme fatigue sore tummies with children on their backs with worse symptoms.  Parasites due to the lack clean water, and it's so hot and I am thirsty and take a drink from my cold water bottle.  So many people I have heard say, " you can't help everyone, you can't save the world from poverty".... that is true, because Jesus is our only Saviour.  He has given us the gift of life and with that we are called as christians to do something.  The reason you and I are born where we are is because He wants to use us for His kingdom.  To be a hand to someone in need.
As the song comes to an end, I realize how much I needed to laugh.  And I pray that God would continue to work through this heart of mine to see people in the light of His eyes and to share His love.

These kids come to the door every week for a glass of milk and snack
Brining a pot of soup to celebrate the new baby in Eddie's family

No comments:

Post a Comment