Thursday, October 6, 2011

quick update

Another day and still feeling like I am spinning my wheels.  What takes me minutes in Canada, seems to take me hours here.  I find I get frustrated with myself for not getting things accomplished.  Matt and I sat down last night and wrote a "to do" list for today and I think we scratched three things off.  We ended up having a friend and his two boys in for a two and a half hour lunch.  It turned into a great visit, and I am once again reminded of the importance of relationships.  It's not about stroking things off my list, but investing in lives.  Like I said before, life is very different and you never know what happens day to day.  We were told in our training with "Commission to Every Nation", that missionaries need to be flexible.  I guess I am being tested in that now.   We are still trying to get into a routine with the kids.  We are realizing very quickly the tricks of running a smooth household here.  There are certain times of the day, we just don't have water.  Period.  I am trying to figure out what times those are and have a resevoire as back up.  That means not being able to flush toilet, do dishes and laundry or shower.  I have been doing dishes in a bucket on the kitchen floor.  I keep telling myself, "just go with the flow."  It took us an hour to prepare salad last night.  We need to soak the raw vegetables in iodine water or chlorinated water to kill any bacteria.  Needless to say, we won't be eating much salad!

Our house is not yet finished, and there are a few men working in and out during the day.  We are cautious to leave for long periods of time as theft is huge here.  Max already had his soccer ball stolen. We have been making our visits to the orphanage later in the afternoon and into the evening hours.  The other day was particularly special as it was one of the girls birthdays.  We arrived at night just to sing to Fransisca and bring her some chocolates.  She broke down crying just because we remembered her birthday and it made her feel so special.  

Max had his stitches removed yesterday and has healed quite nicely. Thank you for all your prayer over him.   We suggested he wear a helmut playing soccer, but he didn't find that funny.

cheers,
Mandy



No comments:

Post a Comment