Saturday, January 11, 2014

Meet Yorlini

Malnutrition is described as a condition that results in a diet that is lacking certain nutrients, an excess of, or the wrong proportions of nutrients.  This condition is on the rise for many, many people in Guatemala, specifically children.  The problem doesn't lie therein with a lack of food.  For some it is a lack of proper education, extreme cases of poverty and others neglect.  This was the case for Yorlini.

When 3 year old Yorlini first came to Hands of Mercy, She was frail and weak.  She was found on the dirt floor of her home among trash clinging to water for life.  Yorlini spent two months in treatment at a hospital to help her gain weight and get healthier.  Her parents were too busy getting drunk and abandoned her to fend for herself.  The darkness in her eyes tells her story.  After taking her for vaccinations last Thursday, I felt like she needed some extra care so we took her home.  My heart aches for this tiny girl.  I wonder how this will effect the rest of her life.  How will she develop mentally, physically and emotionally with such a start to life. I think of my precious 3 year old niece who wants to feel like a princess, run and play without a care in the world.  It is no different for Yorlini.  She too, likes to feel pretty, but can't run as walking a short distance is very hard for her.  I have been challenging her to walk each day and we are working on toilet training.  She has been doing both!  It warmed my heart last night when she gently said to Matt, " papa, look at me.... I'm walking"
painting nails 
 It has been interesting watching her at meal time.   When it is time to eat, her face lights up.  She could sit by the table all day if I let her.  She is very particular of her food placement.  Her plate and cup is always on the edge of the table and if I dare move it, you'd think I'm trying to steal it from her.  It has been hard for me to undress her for bath time.  She weighs only 1 pound more than our 5 month old Lilly.  You can imagine! Despite her size, I know God has big things in store for her life.  The darkness in her eyes is starting to lift and we see some smiles!  God is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment