Sunday, November 27, 2011

Can Missionaries Have Fun?


This is a question I struggled with leading up to and even being here.  I feel sometimes guilty that I have such a great opportunity to be here.  Not with having fun in our mission but outside of it.  It does come with its many struggles though.  I think God provides  fun times  as a gift to refresh us and keep us going.

At the visa office
My husband and boys just called me from the top of a volcano.....how cool is that?  I was planning on joining them but unfortunately we had no one to watch Mercedes.  The hike would have been too much for her.   We decided to have a girls day, so we sat on the roof top in the sun having "coffee" together and then did nails.  She is growing up so fast and I am taking in every minute of this time together.

This week has been interesting to say the least.  We have had some major break throughs, scares, frustrations and fun.  Matt had a major meeting with another organization and was able to make some significant contacts.  I will let him share that another day.  We drove to Guatemala city on our own for the first time and I have to say, I am VERY proud of Matt.  He did great.  Despite the failure of our GPS, we managed to find our way around.  Our purpose was to take Fransisca to apply for a visa and visit another missionary couple  to see what they were doing. We arrived in the city at 8 am and took Fransisca and Sister Wanita to Mc Donalds for breakfast.  They had never been before!  It amazes me how we take so much  for granted.  Another first for them was riding the escalator at the visa office.  It was actually quite hilarious watching Fransisca try to get on and off.

At the mall
After spending 4 hrs in what should have only taken at most 2, we walked a short two blocks over to the mall with the girls.  It was very beautifully decorated for christmas and I felt like a kid full of excitement walking in.   We took Fransisca in to buy a pair of jeans.  Can you imagine, being 21 years old and having the opportunity for the first time to go into a change room at a mall and try on different clothes?  It was a privilege for us to see such joy on her face.  We didn't realize the time and had only 20 mins to get the girls to a bus stop in a city that we didn't know.  It was some crazy driving, but we managed to find a street that the bus was passing and would stop to pick up the girls.

Bathrooms built by Mano con Mano
Girls waiting in line to their drinks
We made our way to visit Gerry and Barb Normand ( friends we met at C-TEN orientation in Texas back in June)  After a great sleep ( in a queen size bed...can you hear my excitement:), we accompanied Barb and Gerry to el Yalu, a village up in the mountains.  I brought my scissors to offer Barb and Gerry haircuts.  ( I usually bring them every where I go)  They were thrilled.  They asked if I would be interested in cutting some of the boys hair in the village.  I was thrilled.  Barb graciously lent me one of her guatemalan skirts so I wouldn't insult or offend by wearing my jeans.  I wonder what they thought of my red hair and piercing?  We spent some time taking a walking tour and learning about some of the history of the village.  As I walked through the village, my heart felt heavy and I could sense the  oppression.  We passed homes ( if you want to call  it that) with absolutely nothing.  Dirt floors and no furniture.  I can't imagine how these families stay warm at night.  There has been frost a few times already.  Most  of these families may only own one set of clothing and are lucky to have shoes.  The organization  Mano con Mano, started building bathrooms and stoves as a part of their mission.  We were invited to a ladies home to see her kitchen and new stove.  It was an honour.  We helped serve lunch as part of their feeding program.   Max handed out vitamins and Gabe served Atol. ( a corn based warm drink)  Matt helped with the homework club and him and Gabe sorted pre-natal vitamins.   The Normand's invited us to stay on an extra night so they could watch  our kids and give us a much needed break.  I was so happy I almost cried.  Matt and I have not had time alone since August.  God provided an opportunity and we accepted.  My high was sitting in a cafe sipping hot chocolate and listening to U2.
The next morning, we braved the drive back through Gautemala city and homeward bound.  On our way to the Walmart, we missed our turn and ended up heading down another highway.  We were driving along, looking to get off at the next exit, when a pick up truck from the oncoming lane jumped the curb and crossed three lanes of traffic.  We witnessed a crazy car chase and the police pulled out a gun and started shooting at the truck.  It was 10:30 am and people were walking the side walks.  Matt held back traffic and we got off the road as soon as we could.  It was crazy to see and is a reminder that anything can happen and we need prayer huge!  God is so good.  We were so lost and almost afraid to ask for help, but found a guy who let us follow him to the road that led us back to Walmart.  I was praying the whole way that this guy wasn't leading us to some dead end.








We got to Walmart and I am embarrassed to say that I have never in my life been so excited to walk into that store.  We picked up a few things that we cannot get in Jalapa. (relish, peanut butter, and gingerale)

I am thankful and know that God has us in His grip. Thank you for your continued pray and support.



No comments:

Post a Comment